Sunday, August 20, 2006

arthur_familyhistorycenter


arthur_familyhistorycenter
Originally uploaded by stevebmeyers.
I just saw the documentary, "NEW YORK DOLL the movie" It documents the somewhat tragic life of new york dolls' bass player Arthur "KILLER" Kane. I had heard a bit about the film before seeing it so there were few suprises but a great film none the less. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it, but see it if you're a Dolls fan. Arthur basically lived in poverty since the late seventies. That's not so strange, there are many stories of ex rock stars falling on hard times. What struck me though, was a tiny detail in the story, Arthur's guitars were in a pawn shop for many years. He payed about $175 per year in monthly charges to keep them but it would have only cost about $260 to get them back. When you watch this documentary and see all the "rich" rock stars that talk about how important the Dolls were to them, you have to wonder why no one ever gave the guy $260 to get his guitars back. (his friends in the Mormon church helped him out), (the fucking Mormons) I'm sure the "rich rock stars" didn't know but that minor point just seems so tragic. I wish I had known, I would have sent him the money. It makes you think, I wonder if Teenage Head's drumer is ok, are his drums in hawk? How's the bass player from the Stooges doing? Is he in desperate need of a bus ticket or a rent payment? There should be a web site or something where ex rock stars in need can ask for help and fans can contribute in some way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home